Gwydir or Gwydyr is an area in northern Wales, United Kingdom. It borders on the Snowdonia-area and is to some extent part of it.
The Gwydir estate has its footing in the towns/villages/parishes of Llanrwst, Betws-y-Coed, Dolwyddelen, Capel Curig and Trefriw. The estate was originally owned by the Wynn family, with its best known member Sir John Wynn (1553-1627). Due to the marriage of Mary Wynn to Robert Bertie (1678) the estate became part of the properties of the Willoughby De Eresby family (other relevant names: Willoughby D’Eresby, Bertie, Ancaster). The families main seat is Grimsthorpe Castle near Bourne, Lincolnshire.
The Gwydir estate area is, nowadays, well known as an area of touristical interest and natural beauty. Farther back in time it was on the strategic route between North and Mid Wales, and more recent with Telford’s A5 on the route between eastern and western Wales. Also, the area had and has some specific interest due to the mining and quarrying activities.
The Scheltinga involvement in the area dates from the early 1950’s when Leo Scheltinga, Dilys Cadwaladr Jones and their son Sion came to live in Llanrychwyn. This, in turn, lead to particular interest of the family in the mines and quarries, resulting in a MA-thesis (Utrecht University, 1981) on the Parc lead and zinc mine and a PhD-thesis (UCW Cardiff, 1991) on “Gwydir estate 1814-1914: the management, finances and decline of a landed estate in North Wales in the nineteenth century”. Both thesis were researched and written by Joost Scheltinga.